ADHD – Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder
ADHD stands for Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder. It is a mental condition in which a person becomes more hyperactive and cannot control his impulses. Such persons face difficulty in paying attention to different situations. This disorder is higher amongst children and mainly occurs in boys and teens as compared to girls. For adults, this disorder only occurs in the people who developed this disorder at an early age. Victims may face difficulty in time management, organizing things, and staying focused on the job.
Symptoms and signs
We can divide it into three subtypes, each with its own varied symptoms.
- Inattention Inability to focus or concentrate on a specific piece of work
- Such people may not follow prescribed rules or ways of doing things. They may miss important details and may not complete the task which they started
- Such people daydream too much and often work slowly
- They appear to be absentminded and are forgetful
- They lose track of their tasks
- Such kids are usually nervous and quickly get bored
- These kids face trouble sitting quietly and still
- They typically do tasks hurriedly and often make mistakes
- They usually do nonsense activities unintentionally
- They usually do tasks without thinking
- They are aggressive and rarely wait
- They rarely care to take permission to do anything or to take belongings of others
- They are very emotional and show an intense reaction to different situations
Symptoms in adults
- Low self-respect
- Delaying tasks
- Quick mood swings
- Issues while focusing on something
- Relationship problems
At present, there is no known cure for this disorder, but some treatments are available, which can help to improve body functioning and reduce the symptoms. Other treatments may include education, therapy training, and a combination of treatments.
There are three types of medications available in the market. These include stimulants, non-stimulants, and anti-depressants. But most used drugs are stimulants.
The primary stimulants used to treat this disorder is Adderall and Modafinil. Such stimulants increase the stimulation of dopamine in the blood, which enhances the ability to stay focused and pay attention.
This drug mainly serves its function in curing stress but is also useful in this disorder as it increases your ability to stay focused on tasks in an organized way. It also helps to stay awake during the day hours. It also helps to treat the behavioral problems of victims. It is usually in the form of a capsule, and one should avoid breaking it instead it can be easily swallowed directly, or the other way to take this medicine is by opening the capsule in a spoon full of applesauce and then consuming it.
This drug also treats excessive sleep. It increases wakefulness and consciousness in victims. We can take it with food, but the best way to take this medicine is without food as in this way its action is more rapid. Extra dosage is strictly prohibited.
According to scientists and researchers, the reasons for this disease may include:
- Improper heredity
- Chemical imbalance
- Viral infections